We live in a hectic world. We wake up and have to put on a brave face to deal with our daily chores, personal matters, and any unexpected circumstances that may arise. Many times, we regret not doing this or that. We think that the outcome of certain situations would have been different if we had been more “present”; i.e., mindful.
This trait not only enables us to shape our future but also avoid missing out on wonderful opportunities. How does this apply to skin care? You will be surprised to find out it has a great impact.
Mindfulness Definition: Implement Mindfulness Into Your Everyday Life
Thich Nhat Hanh, the “Father of Mindfulness” defines this practice as follows :
“Mindfulness is to be aware. To be aware when you are breathing in and to be aware when you are breathing out… it is the capacity to be aware of what is here. Anything can be the object of mindfulness. Your breath. The sky. It is to be in touch with our felt experience in each moment.”
a type of meditation that allows us to be fully conscious of the present moment without being judgemental. We approach our breath, emotions, feelings, bodily sensations, surroundings, and thoughts with both loving curiosity and tolerance. Through mindfulness we are able to grasp one of life's hard-hitting truths: our ideas are not a reflection of reality. They are simply our personal interpretation of the happenings that take place around us. Such interpretation is influenced by previous experiences, our personality, and even the environment we are immersed in.
When we become mindful, we also become accepting of our acts and we stop labeling our mistakes as failures. Most importantly, we put a halt to autopilot and express our gratitude for being able to be here and now… seizing the moment. Increased awareness equals more quality time and precious experiences. Are you curious about other
? This is what science has to say about it :
- Reduced rumination, stress, and anxiety
- More empathy and compassion
- Better quality of life
- Being able to “switch off” the automatic pilot
- Boasts working memory
- Increased focus
- Less emotional reactivity
- More cognitive flexibility
- Relationship satisfaction
- Improved well-being
- Increase in information processing speed
- Enhance self-insight, morality, intuition, and fear modulation
But wait, what does mindfulness have to do with skincare? Well, everything! Think about it. You will be fully aware of your skin needs. You will understand the properties of active ingredients. You will know how and when to apply them for maximum benefits. You will save time, money, and effort for maximum results and diminish those skin-destroying cortisol levels. Plus, mindfulness is a key element of self-care.
What Is Self-care? Learn These Tips and Tricks
The WHO defines self-care as “the ability of individuals, families, and communities to promote their own health, prevent disease, maintain health, and to cope with illness and disability with or without the support of a health worker . Self-care is the first step to health, including that of your skin. It really doesn't matter how much you spend on cosmetics. If you do eat well, sleep properly, exercise, relax, meditate, etc. (a.k.a. self-care), glowy skin will only be wishful thinking. This is
why self-care is so important
, health and skin-wise.
There are a zillion
and strategies that you can incorporate into your
but we are aware of the fact that people lack time in today's hectic world. So, we have put together a simple
that caters to all budgets and tastes:
- Cook nourishing meals.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Be grateful.
- Spend time in nature.
- Listen to relaxing music.
- Do deep breathing exercises.
- Break up a sweat to release stress.
- Turn in before 11 pm and sleep at least 7 hours daily.
- Get a facial or whip up simple mask/exfoliator recipes at home.
mindfulness meditation. You can find multiple techniques on platforms like Youtube and Netflix.
- Take a warm bath with epsom salts and essential oils like lavender, lemongrass, and rosemary.
How To Practice Self-care: Your Rosafa Mindful Skincare Routine
- Stop whatever you are doing.
- Stand or sit in front of a mirror.
- Take 3 deep breaths, then allow yourself to naturally flow with it.
- Observe and touch your skin. Ask yourself, how does it look and feel? Do you see any differences?
- Cleanse your skin consciously. Take one minute to duly remove all makeup and surface.
- Layer 3-4 drops of the Silky Perfection Serum with mindful strokes on the face, neck and décolleté.
- While the skin is still damp, slowly massage a pea-sized amount of the Timeless Reset Rich Radiance Face Cream on the face, neck, and décolleté until fully absorbed.
- Perceive how the ingredients nourish and repair your skin.
- Take 3 deep breaths.
- Thank yourself for this me-time.
Remember: Mindful self-care is not a luxury, it is not a privilege.
Self-care is for everyone