The Triple 'S' Guide: Spring Skincare Solutions
The flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, the weather is turning warmer…spring is finally here! But wait, you really don’t believe that it is ultimately la vie en rose during spring, or do you? Well, we know what a beautiful season spring is, but there are several factors to consider when it comes to your skincare!
To start off, let us look over the environmental characteristics that occur during springtime:
- Strong UV radiation.
- Unstable climate (thawing, temperatures start to rise and thunderstorms are experienced too).
As a result of the above environmental characteristics, people might develop several skin- related issues, some of which include:
- Skin allergies.
- Visible thread veins.
- Acne breakouts/clogged skin.
- Dry, dehydrated, scaly, dull, rough, undernourished and wrinkled skin (aftermath of winter blues).
As a remedy regarding the aforementioned skin problems, there are a few steps you should complete on a daily basis:
- Deep cleansing
- Exfoliation (skin renewal)
- Intense moisturization
- Protection against UV radiation
General Guidelines For Beautiful Skin During Springtime
To give you a more in-depth plan on how to have perfect and healthy skin during spring, we rounded up a few tips to keep you in the loop:
Gently and Thoroughly Cleanse: Springtime skin care should be aimed at repairing all the havoc produced during the winter and protect the skin from future environmental aggressions. Therefore, a gentle hydrating cleanser is the perfect way to deeply remove all the build-up that happened during the winter without causing tightness/dryness.
Tip: It is always easier to loosen up dead skin cells when the skin surface is moist.
- Remember To Tone: Mist a few sprays of mildly acidic toner (pH 4.5-5.5) after cleansing your skin to restore its protective barrier.
- Shed Your “Old Skin”: Just as the snow thaws when the spring arrives, so does dry skin. For this purpose, we recommend using soft and natural exfoliants (2x per week) such as those formulated with oatmeal, enzymes and polyhydroxy acids. Steer clear of scrubs as they could cause teeny tiny scratches, thus further irritating your already sensitive “winter skin”.
- Replenish The Lost Oils: This can be achieved by applying a serum, cream and/or a facial oil rich in ceramides and vegetable oils/butters. The protective film that forms on the skin will help soften it and prevent transepidermal water loss. Moisturize twice per day using the layering technique: this means that you will apply one skincare product after the other while the skin is still damp.
- Pamper Your Sensitive Skin: The combination of the winter “aftermath” and the spring allergies cause the skin to overly react to products and ingredients. To normalize skin functions, maximize calming and barrier-protective ingredients like chamomile, calendula, honey and hyaluronic acid.
- Never Underestimate The Power Of Sunscreen: It is important to increase protection against UV radiation during this time of the year. Use a mineral sunscreen (made with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) with an SPF 30 that is rich in biological filters such as avocado oil, coconut oil, raspberry oil, shea butter etc. These filters act as free radicals scavengers and they also help to replenish your skin's natural oils.
- Condition Your Skin Weekly: Masks can speed up your skin’s recovery process. Favor natural masks with hydrating, nourishing and purifying benefits. Make sure to find the right place and time to treat yourself to a mask. It is a well-known fact that relaxation has a positive influence on skin health.
- Gua Sha every day, or every other day, to stimulate your skin´s microcirculation, drain obnoxious toxins and improve the appearance of aging signs.
- Quench Your Skin's Thirst From the Inside-out: The 8 glasses per day rule might not apply to everyone. The key is to listen to your body and hydrate yourself as soon as you feel thirsty. Thirst is your body´s signal that your cell´s internal and external fluids are out of balance. Without this delicate equilibrium, your cells are not able to perform their functions adequately. Skin-wise, this translates into a visage that looks congested, dull, and frazzled. Be careful with your alcohol and coffee intake because these substances dehydrate your system. Do not forget to consume plenty of seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables as their water is readily delivered where it is needed. Plus, it transports precious nutrients that maintain your skin in optimum conditions.
- Supercharge Your Skin With Superfoods: Berries, algae, seaweed, maca, fish oil, leafy greens, nuts, etc., are loaded with vitamins, minerals, EFAs and antioxidants that will kick-start sluggish skin conditions (caused by the winter blues) and reveal a healthier, more luminous and rejuvenated complexion.
With all the information and tools that we have provided you with, you can now easily achieve flawless looking skin during the spring. Make sure to check out our Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Linkedin platforms to get more tips on all skincare related matters.